- 1 9-inch double crust for a deep-dish pie
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups thinly sliced apples
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 20 caramels, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
To make the taffy: In a small bowl combine brown sugar, melted butter or margarine, and 1/3 cup flour. Mix well and set aside.
To make the apple filling: Place apples in a large bowl.
- 2/3 Cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teasp cinnamon
- and lemon juice (enough to prevent browning of the apples).
*Toss until all ingredients are mixed well and apples are thoroughly coated.
Spoon half of apple filling into pastry-lined deep-dish pan.
Top with half of caramels and half of taffy mixture.
Repeat process with remaining apple filling and caramels and taffy mixture.
Place top pastry over filling and seal well (this is very important - if edges are not sealed caramel will leak all over).
Cut steam vents and brush top crust with milk or light cream.
Cover pie with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Remove foil from pie and bake for another 30 to 45 minutes, until crust is golden. Serve warm.